So you’ve finally decided you want to invest in an electric fireplace for your home. And, you’ve probably seen a lot of photos of TVs mounted above electric fireplaces. The setup looks great, but is it actually a good idea to place your TV above a heat source?
Here’s what you need to know.
Mounting a TV Above an Electric Fireplace - What to Consider
Since a television is an expensive purchase, naturally, you want to make sure it’s secure and safe from heat damage. Does this mean you shouldn’t mount a TV above an electric fireplace then?
The answer depends on the type of electric fireplace you decide on.
You cannot mount a TV above just any electric fireplace. The fireplace would need to expel heat and air from the front or the bottom of the unit to make mounting a TV a safe option. There is also the option of a fireplace suite, which is surrounded by a motif.
Here are some examples of electric fireplaces that have these features:
- Compton 60'' Electric Fireplace Suite by European Home
- Modern Flames Landscape Pro 58'' Electric Fireplace Wall Mounted Suite
Are Electric Fireplaces Safe?
Many people ask if electric fireplaces are safe. In general, electric fireplaces are safe for indoor use. As you may know, electric fireplaces do not produce the actual fire. Therefore, usual hazards that come with fireplaces are eliminated when you have an electric fireplace.
Naturally, you need to keep certain safety measures in mind before getting a fireplace. First of all, do not install electric fireplace where it might be exposed to excessive water. Try not to put or hang flammable items on wall-mounted electric fireplaces. And, unplug the unit when not in use.
Read our detailed Electric Fireplace Safety Guide here.
Choosing the Right Electric Fireplace for Your Living Area
It is important to choose the right electric fireplace based on different factors. Especially if you want to mount a TV anove electric fireplace, you should look into different options. Now that you know more about the type of fireplace you need, here are a few other tips to help you choose the right brand and model:
- Since your electric fireplace and your TV will be on the same wall, make sure that the sizes are balanced. An electric fireplace that’s too big or too small will look out of place, and vice versa.
- Consider where your plugs are and if you will need to contact an electrician about a new plug installation to accommodate the fireplace.
- Consider your interior decor and what flame colors would be most complementary before you decide on an electric fireplace.
As for mounting your TV above your new electric fireplace, make sure you don’t place it too high or you will end up straining your neck to watch. You also want to purchase a secure bracket to keep your TV in place.
If you want further electric fireplace recommendations, here are our top 7 electric fireplaces.