Are Wall Mounted Electric Fireplaces Safe?
Many people stay undecided about mounted electric fireplaces because they’re worried about safety. The truth is, electric fireplaces are not only energy-efficient and visually appealing but one of the safest ways to heat your home too.
If you’re not quite convinced, let’s take a closer look at why wall mounted electric fireplaces are a safe choice.
Wall Mounted Electric Fireplace Safety Features
Safety is a key consideration during the electric fireplace manufacturing process. Here are some of the features you should know about.
- Protective Screens. Wall mounted electric fireplaces are made with safe interaction screens that remain cool to reduce the risk of burns, making them safe for both children and pets.
- Fake Flames. Electric fireplaces are designed to produce real-life fire effects minus the soot and fumes. These fireplaces produce realistic flames but they’re not hot, not much hotter than a hairdryer anyway - this is thanks to the internal heating element.
- Timers. If you’re worried about your fireplace overheating, you can make use of the built-in timer that many wall mounted electric fireplaces have. These timers will switch the fireplace off after 30 minutes to 9 hours.
- Emergency Shut-Off Switches. Lastly, most electric fireplaces are fitted with an emergency shut-off switch which reduces fire risks due to overheating.
For a more detailed explanation of how electric fireplaces work, click here.
Bonus Electric Fireplace Safety Tips
If you are still concerned about safety, there are some additional tips you can use for additional peace of mind.
- Ensure that all the vents are open and free from blockages. This ensures ongoing fresh air intake.
- Keep any combustible materials away from the fireplace, including curtains, bedding, wood, paper, and furniture.
- If there are any signs of physical damage, contact a technician about repairs before you use the fireplace again. It’s also best to routinely check your fireplace for damage, including the cords.
- Speak to your children about electric fireplace safety and put some rules in place.
- Keep drinks and any other fluids away from the fireplace.
- Attach any cords to the edges of the wall to prevent tripping.
- Switch your wall mounted electric fireplace off if you experience any strange smells.
- Get a professional to install your electric fireplace.
You should now have a better understanding of the safety features of most electric fireplaces and why they’re a sound way to warm your home. If you want to start shopping, here is a list of our top-rated electric fireplaces.